The National Library of Malta, often known as the Bibliotheca, is a reference library in Old Treasury Street, Valletta and is housed in a white stone eighteenth-century building with a pillared portico.
It was founded in 1766 during the reign of Grandmaster Emmanuel de Rohan. For a time it was known as the Bibliotheca Tanseana in honour of Louis Guérin de Tencin, whose collections formed the nucleus of the library. It became a legal deposit library in 1925, and from 1936 was known as the Royal Malta Library. The name was changed to National Library of Malta in 1976.
Please note that this venue is only accessed by a long staircase.