The Collegiate Parish Church of St Paul’s Shipwreck, also known as simply the Church of St Paul’s Shipwreck, is a Roman Catholic parish church in Valletta, Malta. It is one of Valletta’s oldest churches.
Saint Paul the Apostle is considered the spiritual father of the Maltese. His shipwreck on Malta is described in the New Testament (Acts 28, 1). St. Luke wrote, “we found that the island was called Melita”.
The church traces its origins to 1570s, was designed by Girolamo Cassar, and completed in December 1582; during the building of the church the parish priest administered the sacraments from the Carmelite church. The church was ceded to the Jesuit Fathers and a new church was started in 1639 and finished in 1679.In 1733 it became a collegiate church. The church’s facade was rebuilt in 1885 according to the design of Nicola Zammit.