This is one of the first churches built during the creation of the new city of Valletta in 1571 on Gerolamo Cassar’s plan and rebuilt in 1765. The architect Anton Cachia was responsible for the plans, while Master Guzeppi Bonnici was responsible for the building works. The church was blessed by Bishop Vincenzo Labini. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Gozo, the Augustinian Giovanni Maria Camilleri on 1st July 1906.
On 21st January 1968, by means of a pastoral letter of the Archbishop Mons. Michael Gonzi, that was read in all the parishes of Malta and Gozo, it was officially announced that the church of St. Augustine in Valletta had become a Parish. This new parish that originated from that of St. Dominic’s embraces a quarter of the population of Valletta. The titular statue which was made in Spain on a model of the sculptor Vincenzo Apap was blessed by the father Provincial Egidio Galea on the 21st August 1972.