The church of St. Catherine was built in 1576 by the Italian knights of St John to serve as their church. It was built adjacent to the Auberge d’Italie. Girolamo Cassar was commissioned to draw up the plans. In the 17th century the church was enlarged. An octagonal church was added to the existing chapel. The original chapel was changed into the sanctuary of the church. The church underwent major restoration from 2001 till 2011. Today the church still serves as the parish church of the Italian community of Malta.