The church of the Friars Minor, which is dedicated to St Mary of Jesus, came to be popularly known by the Maltese as Ta’ Ġieżu. Ta’ Ġieżu is a local corruption of Ta’ Ġesù (of Jesus).
In 1571 the Friars Minor were granted a piece of land in Valletta on which to build a church. Work began shortly afterwards, following the design of Gerolamo Cassar. The facade was replaced in 1680 by Mederico Blondel. Numerous grandmasters contributed lavishly towards the embellishment of the church which now hosts various works of art.
The main attraction is undoubtedly the impressive Miraculous Crucifix (in Maltese: Il-Kurċifiss Mirakuluż), by the Sicilian friar Umile Pintorno around 1630. It immediately attracted the attention of the Maltese who still hold it in great devotion. Accompanying the crucifix is a painting of Our Lady of Sorrows by Stefano Erardi.
The titular painting is the work of the Sicilian artist Antonio Catalano. It is dated 1600 and depicts the Visitation of Our Lady to St Elizabeth.
The church also hosts the grave of Blessed Ignatius Falzon (Nazju Falzon) (1813–1865), a diocesan cleric greatly venerated by the Maltese, who taught Catholic catechism to British sailors stationed in Malta.